Winter Outings for All: Oh, the Natural Places We’ll Go!
Beat the winter blues by exploring local treasures supporting nature, wildlife, and curiosity!
Fisher Farm and Abersham Park – http://www.ci.davidson.nc.us/839/Fisher-Farm
Jetton Park – https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/Parks/ParksByRegion/NorthRegion/Pages/Jetton.aspx
Town of Davidson’s Greenway Trails – http://www.townofdavidson.org/147/Greenways
West Branch Nature Preserve – 18232 Shearer Road, Davidson, NC 28036
Lake Davidson Nature Preserve – http://www.ci.davidson.nc.us/844/Nature-Preserve
Latta Nature Center and Preserve – https://www.mecknc.gov/ParkandRec/StewardshipServices/NatureCenters/Pages/Latta.aspx
If you don’t live in the areas listed above, maybe there are parks, preserves, and nature trails in the area where you live that you can visit. You may even find some neat things to observe and learn about in your own yard or neighborhood.
- From the video, what were the tracks spotted along the path? Did you go on a hike and spot any tracks? If so, what sort of tracks did you spot?
- Alice mentioned something that moss removes from the air. Do you remember what it was? Why was that good?
- If you went on a nature hike, what senses did you use and what did you observe with them? If you didn’t go on a walk, can you list the 5 senses and talk about how you might use them when you do take a walk in nature?
- Did you do any rubbings on trees in your yard or while on a hike? Did you notice differences in the rubbings based on the type of tree it was? Please share with us what you found.
- In part 2 of Alice’s video, do you remember what plant is being referred to when you hear “hairy vine, scary vine”? What other phrase is often used when talking about this vined plant?
Earn badges and qualify for prize drawing by registering and answering journal questions. It's fun and easy!