- Watch the video for instructions on how to setup this experiment.
- Try it yourself at home.
- Share results in your journal.
- What happened here? Can you describe what you see?
- Some of the colors blended, what new colors did we create?
- How do you think that happens? Does mixing make new colors?
Earn badges and qualify for prize drawing by registering and answering journal questions. It's fun and easy!
The purpose of this activity is the show how temperature affects the molecule bonds in water. As water heats up, the molecule bonds expand, this is why water travels up the straw when submerged in hot water. When water cools the molecule bonds become smaller, which is what happens when we place the bottle back into cold water. Use this activity as an opportunity to work on the children’s’ observational skills. Ask them to describe what they see in detail. Take note of what they say and look for opportunities to extend the conversation based on what they describe.