Make and race a balloon powered car.
- Using scissors, carefully cut the cup in half lengthways, to create the car body.
- Using a pencil, poke two sets of holes through the length of the cup. One set near the top of the cup, and one set near the bottom. Poke another hole through the bottom of the cup.
- Insert a straw through each set of holes. Then, slide the spools of thread or lid wheels on to each end of the straws.
- Wrap a rubber band around the end of each straw; these will keep the wheels from sliding off.
- Push the neck of the balloon through the hole in the bottom of the cup. The balloon should be lying inside the cup. Make sure the hole is big enough to let the air out.
- Blow up the balloon, place on a hard surface and release.
- Watch the video above.
- Check out the “challenge card” in the download section. It has a great diagram showing how to build the car.
- Get busy and build your own car!
- Record results and a picture in your journal.
- Tell us about your car?
- What did you use for wheels?
- What did not work very well?
- If you were to try again what would you do differently?
Earn badges and qualify for prize drawing by registering and answering journal questions. It's fun and easy!